After the destaster with the Veronica Skirt I was deadset on making Seamwork patterns work for me. Up until now I never had much success with the Seamwork patterns for woven garments. They seem too boxy on me because of my curvy figure. So why not try a knit pattern? And I did. I chose to start with the Seamwork Margo pencilskirt and went on to make the Seamwork Ida and the Seamwork Gabrielle.
The Margo is a pencilskirt designed to sit at the waist with a length to midcalves with two side slits. In my opinion this could be the perfect staple since you can shorten and adapt this to your preferences.
The fabric I used was a midweight ponte (65% viscose 20% nylon and 5% elasthane). I was originally dissapointed that the fabric was made in China even though I ordererd it from a German shop and description said nothing about the origin of the fabric. But having worked with it I must admit the qualitiy is superb and I would order it again. Still I would have appreciated a note in the fabric description saying where the fabric came from.
Now the construction was very easy. You actually only have two pattern pieces to work with. I made a straight size L which in hindsight was probably too large (for me that’s weird). At least in the waist I definitely have to size down. What I noticed is that you are supposed to hem the side slits first and then as the last step hem the skirt. I think you could make this all in one go and save some time (it’s a quick make either way). I am only 5ft 5in (165cm), so I wanted to take off 4.5in (11.5cm) of length for the skirt to be my desired length.
The Margo Skirt is super comfortable and I will definitely make more. I have a whole list of colors I want to make it in. I’m even thinking about making some mini skirts (without slits of course).
Thats it, happy Sewing! And check back to read about the Ida and Gabrielle Dresses.